Med-Peds Community Service
Residents at Tulane take pride in extending themselves beyond our institutional walls and into the community. As part of the Tulane Medicine/Pediatrics Residency Program, residents participate in community service through the Med-Peds Community Service Committee.
The goal of Community Service Committee is to aid in bridging the gap in health disparities through direct community outreach. In previous years, our residents organized interdisciplinary "Making People Healthy Health Fairs," where they screen and provide preventive services to over 500 people with the assistance of faculty form various disciplines. In addition, our residents have taken part in mentorship programs, our annual holiday drives for indigent children throughout New Orleans, and in building community partners to better serve and understand the community we work with.
Community Partners include:
- Youth Empowerment Project (YEP): an organization that "engages underserved young people through community-based education, mentoring, employment readiness, and enrichment programs to help them develop skills and strengthen ties to family and community."
- The Welcoming Project: a community-based re-entry program for system-involved young people returning home to New Orleans from incarceration by connecting them with case management services, mentoring, access to paid employment and summer-camp opportunities, and, through us, well child and preventive health care.
- Collegiate Academies Charter School Network: one of the largest charter school networks in New Orleans. In the next couple of years, about one quarter of all New Orleans high school students will be enrolled in a Collegiate Academies School. Currently, a dozen Tulane residents are participating in an exchange-mentoring program designed by other Tulane residents and Collegiate Academy partners with Collegiate Academies School alumni who are currently in local colleges/universities, interested in pursuing careers in health.
Life at Tulane Med-Peds Residency Program is about hard work, service, and fun!
Past Community Service Activities
- "Mouth Piece" Community Newsletter
- NOLA Run Youth Health Physicals
- Adolescent Holiday Party at Covenant House
- Dillard University Student Athlete
- Walmart "Making People Healthy" Health Fair