- BS in Biology & Chemistry - University of Puget Sound, Tacoma WA, 1977
- PhD in Pharmacology - Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 1982
- Postdoctoral Research Pharmacologist: Univ California, San Francisco, CA, 1982-1985
- Assistant Professor: Pharmacology Dept, Tulane University, New Orleans LA,1985-1990
- Associate Professor: 1990-1995
- Professor: 1995-present
Over the past 30 years Dr. Clarkson has helped to implement a variety of learner-centered methods of teaching at Tulane, including problem-based learning, team-based learning, just-in-time-teaching, peer instruction and high fidelity patient simulation. More recently, he has developed an open access wiki learning resource (Pharmwiki) that contains drug monographs, case-based learning modules, and interactive self-assessment quizzes designed to foster self-directed learning in medical pharmacology.