PhD: University of Guelph, 1992
Postdoctoral: University of Missouri
My primary interests are aspects of genetics and reproduction in non-human primates. My laboratory is charged with the genetic management of the breeding colony of rhesus monkeys at the Tulane National Primate Research Center. The tasks associated with this are accomplished using SNP technology and a variety of software programs to determine kinships and to monitor levels of heterozygosity and inbreeding coefficients across generations. I am also interested in assessing what factors determine the reproductive efficiency among rhesus females, esp. to what degree certain components of reproductive behavior affect the long-term reproductive success of a female. We have also begun to investigate to what extent such reproductive parameters might be inherited.
Another focus of our efforts has been on assisted reproduction in rhesus monkeys, particularly on the development of better and more reliable methods of sperm cryopreservation. The efficiency of currently available methods still lags significantly behind what has been accomplished in many other species.
- Gagliardi C, Falkenstein KP, Franke DE, Kubisch HM. Estimates of heritability for reproductive traits in captive rhesus macaque females. Am J Primatol 72: 811-819, 2010.
- Kanthaswamy S, Capitanio JP, Dubay CJ, Ferguson B, Folks T, Ha JC, Hotchkiss CE, Johnson ZP, Katze MG, Kean LS, Kubisch HM, Lank S, Lyons LA, Miller GM, Nylander J, O'Connor DH, Palermo RE, Smith DG, Vallender EJ, Wiseman RW, Rogers J. Resources for genetic management and genomics research on non-human primates at the National Primate Research Centers (NPRCs). J Med Primatol 38 Suppl 1: 17-23, 2009.
- Ferguson B, Capitanio J, Folks T, Hotchkiss C, Johnson Z, Kean L, Kubisch HM, Lank S, Lyons L, Miller GM, Nylander J, O'Connor D, Vallender EJ, Wiseman R. Resource brief: the National Non-Human Primate DNA Bank. Methods 49: 3-4, 2009.
- Goff K, Liukkonen J, Kubisch HM. Postmortem recovery and cryopreservation of spermatozoa from the vas deferens of rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta). Theriogenology 72: 834-840, 2009.
- Alapati R, Goff K, Kubisch HM, Devireddy RV. Water transport in epididymal and ejaculated rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) sperm during freezing. Cryobiology 57: 182-185, 2008.
Recent Publications: A PubMed listing of research publications for H. Michael Kubisch, Ph.D.