Tulane Surgery is dedicated to supporting physician well-being. We have a dedicated Associate Program Director for Wellness and Mentoring, Dr. Chrissy Guidry, who works as a tireless advocate for both our general residents and all Tulanians as part of the Tulane University Wellness Committee. More information can be found at https://hr.tulane.edu/wellness/wellness.
2022-2023 Resident Wellness Activity Schedule
- July - Meet the Interns at Bayou Beer Garden
- August - Annual Rock N' Bowl Event
- September - Spin Class at Cycle Bar
- October - Halloween Parade Watch Party at Cane and Table
- November - Turkey Trot Picnic and Walk/Run in Audubon Park
- December - Surgery Department Holiday Party
- January - Pelicans Basketball Game
- February - Candidate Reception at the Eliza Jane Hotel
- March - Fitness Class at Orangetheory
- April - Philanthropy Event
- May - Annual Resident Retreat
- June - Resident Graduation
Other Wellness Policies and Amenities
- Wellness ½ days: All residents are given ½ weekday off per month to attend to their personal and wellbeing needs (this is in addition to regularly allowed ACGME vacation days).
- Vacation days: Residents get 3 weeks of vacation, one of which is guaranteed to be during the December holiday season if the resident desires, and 2 four-day weekends off each year.
- Downtown Gym: Located steps from Tulane Medical Center with hours and activities structured to meet the needs of busy residents and faculty
- Resident Library: The residents’ badge allows entry into the resident-only library/lounge with tons of surgery textbooks and resources on the 8th floor of the medical school building (close to all the surgery faculty offices in the academic surgery dept).
- Textbooks: The department provides a surgery textbook for each resident at the beginning of PGY1 and PGY3.
- Loupes: The program provides loupes for each categorical resident at the beginning of PGY2.
- National conference attendance: The program sends PGY4 residents to subspecialty meetings of their choice (if not already attending to present research) and PGY5/chief residents to the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
- End of Year Wellness Retreat: All residents have protected time to attend a celebration at the end of the academic year filled with relaxation and reflection on the year’s hard work, educational endeavors, and accomplishments.
- Living Well Clinic: Open 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, located in the School of Medicine building. Provides residents free & confidential wellness visits, health coaching, urgent and preventative visits as well. Great and easy option for treatment for allergies, sprains, colds, sinusitis, URI, UTI, enteritis, etc.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Program that offers services to help individuals achieve better health and overcome barriers in life; the EAP is there to help manage life’s changes in good times and during times of challenges.
- Residents’ Assistance Program: Self-referral for 3 visits at no cost – Fitness for Duty, Addiction, Psychotherapy.
- School of Medicine Companion & Wellness App: https://medicine.tulane.edu/home/tusom-companion-app
- Comprehensive Mentoring Program: to keep you accountable for success during your residency and prepare you for your future career after residency
- Group Fitness Zumba and Dance Classes: offered school-wide, free for anyone to attend
- Well-Being Index from Mayo Clinic: used to access Well-being on a routine basis to access and provide resources to better your subjective Well-being