The Tulane Asthma Center is dedicated to the comprehensive care of adults with asthma. It was established in 2020 in recognition of the unique expertise at Tulane available for the care of the asthma patient. We have a patient centered and comprehensive approach to the care of asthma unequaled in the New Orleans metro area. Tulane Asthma Center is here to expand the existing effort to care for persistent asthma, allergies, and assess for comorbidities that may impact asthma control.
Our team has the expertise and experience to care for asthma, pediatric to adult, offer allergy immunotherapy, assess inflammation in the lungs, provide education, identify opportunities for medication assistance, and assess other condition that need to be addressed to achieve asthma control. We have decades of experience treating asthma with coexisting COPD (Asthma COPD Overlap), bronchiectasis and autoimmunity.
Tulane Asthma Center: Why choose Tulane
- Patient-centered approach: At Tulane, we provide you with unequaled expertise, a compressive evaluation, and empowerment to help you take care of your asthma. An asthma action plan, assessment of asthma control, assessment of airway inflammation and allergies are at the core of our successful approach.
- Comprehensive and trans-disciplinary care: We work closely with you and respiratory therapists, pharmacists, nurses, and other specialists in cardiology, bariatric surgery, rheumatology, gastroenterology, and others — to address the important aspects of your comprehensive asthma care plan.
- Clinical trial: We have existing research with severe uncontrolled asthma.
- Research initiatives: We participate in a Biospecimen Bank and a patient registry to further research involvement across the country to better understand asthma. We are identifying opportunities to incorporate and research mind body therapies to improve asthma care in patients to empower everyone.
Tests and Treatments We Offer
The fundamental tests we offer include:
- Comprehensive laboratory services including allergy testing, immunoglobulins, assessment of pneumococcal antibodies as needed.
- Skin testing for aeroallergens, food allergy testing.
- Imaging including chest X-rays, and computerized tomography (CT) scans, including high resolution CT scans to identify bronchiectasis if needed.
- Peak flow meters to take home and spacers for inhalers.
- Complete pulmonary function testing in the laboratory, including fractional exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO).
- Oxygen flow and saturation testing.
- Medication management, prior authorization, and assessment of asthma control.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation at the Grace Ann Dorney Pulmonary and Cardiac Rehabilitation Center at Tulane Medical Center on site.
- Rapid induction immunotherapy (allergy shots) with allergy experts.
- Targeted biological therapies to block immunoglobulin E or interleukins- IL5 or IL4/IL13.
- Immunoglobulin supplementation if needed.
- Bronchial thermoplasty with our interventional pulmonologists if needed.