Dr. Lu’s publications can be viewed on the PubMed website.
1. Fang ZL, Cao B, Liao JM, Deng J, Plummer KD, Liao P, Liu T, Zhang W, Zhang K, Li L, Margolin D, Zeng SX, Xiong JP, and Lu H. (2018) SPIN1 promotes tumorigenesis by blocking the uL18 (universal large ribosomal subunit protein 18)-MDM2-p53 pathway in human cancer. Elife 2018, 7.
2. Liao P, Zeng SX, Zhou X, Zhou F, Chen T, Cao B, Jung JH, Sal Del G, Luo S, and Lu H. (2017) Mutant p53 Gains Its Function via c-Myc Activation upon CDK4 Phosphorylation at Serine 249 and Consequent PIN1 Binding. Molecular Cell. 2017 Dec 21;68(6):1134-1146.
3. Liu DC, Seimetz J, Lee KY, Kalsotra A, Chung HJ, Lu H and Tsai NP. (2017) Mdm2 mediates FMRP- and Gp1 mGluR-induced protein translation and neural network activity. Hum Mol Genet. 26. 3895-3908.
4. Aydin Y, Chedid M, Chava S, Williams DD, Liu S, Hagedorn CH, Sumitran-Holgersson S, Reiss K, Moroz K, Lu H, Balart LA, and Dash S. (2017). Activation of PERK-Nrf2 oncogenic signaling promotes Mdm2-mediated Rb degradation in persistently infected HCV culture. Scientific Reports (Nature Press). 7, 9223 (doi:10.1038/s41598-017-10087-6).
5. Shao J, Xu L, Chen L, Lu Q, Xie X, Shi W, Xiong H, Shi C, Mei J, Rao H, Lu H, Lu NH, and Luo S. (2017). Small G-protein Arl13b promotes tumorigenesis by regulating Smoothened trafficking and subsequent activation of Hedgehog signaling pathway. Cancer Research.77, 4000-13.
6. Nguyen D, Zeng SX, Liao WJ, and Lu H. (2017) Small molecule activators of p53. Pharmacology & Therapeutics. Invited review article. March 27. S0163-7258.
7. Zhang YW, Zeng YX, Hao Q, and Lu H. (2017) Monitoring p53 by MDM2 and MDMX is required for endocrine pancreas development and function in a spatio-temporal manner. Developmental Biology. 12-1606(16), 30854-5.
8. Cao B, Fang Z, Liao, P, Zhou X, Xiong JP, Zeng SX, and Lu H. (2017) Cancer-mutated ribosome protein L22 (RPL22/eL22) suppresses cancer cell survival by blocking p53-MDM2 circuit. Oncotarget. 2017 Oct 6;8(53):90651-90661. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.21544.
9. Liao WJ, Liu HB#, Zhang YW#, Jung J, Su X, Chen TJ, Kim YC, Wang SM, Czarny-Ratajczak M, Flores E, Zeng SX* and Lu H*. (2017) CCD3: A new p63 target involved in regulation of lipid metabolism. Scientific Reports (Nature press). 7: 9020 (doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-09228-8; * co-corresponding authors) (#equal contributions).
10. Chao TF, Zhou X, Liu HB, Cao Bo, Zeng SX, Liao P, Chen Y, Park HW, and Lu H. (2016) Pleckstrin homology domain-containing protein PHLDB3 supports cancer growth via a negative feedback loop involving p53. Nature Communications. 7:13755. doi: 10.1038/ncomms13755.Read More
11. Zhou X, Hao Q, Liao P, Luo S, Zhang M, Hu G, Liu HB, Zhang YW, Cao B, Baddoo M, Flemington E, Zeng SX, and Lu H. (2016) Nerve growth factor receptor negates the tumor suppressor p53 as a feedback regulator. eLIFE. pii: e15099. doi: 10.7554/eLife.15099.
12. Liao JM, Deng J, Cao B, Zhou X, Zeng SX, Strong M, Xiong JP, Flemington E, and Lu H. (2016) TFIIS.h, a new target of p53, regulates transcription efficiency of pro-apoptotic bax gene. Scientific Reports (Nature press). 6, 23542.
13. Cao B#, Wang KB#, He MF, Liao JM, Zhou X, Liao P, Zeng SX, Chen LZ, He YL, Li W*, and Lu H*.(2016) p53 inactivates oncogenic cAMP-specific phosphodiesterase 4D via miR-139-5p.eLIFE. pii: e15978. doi: 10.7554/eLife.15978 (#equal contributions; *co-corresponding authors).
14. Zhang Q, Zeng SX, and Lu H. (2015) Determination of Maximum Tolerated Dose and Toxicity of Inauhzin in Mice. Toxicology Reports. 2, 546-554.
15. Jung JH#, Liao JM#, Zhang Q, Zeng SX, Nguyen D, Hao Q, Zhou X, Cao B, Kim SH, and Lu H. (2015) Inauhzin(c) Inactivates c-Myc Independently of p53. Cancer Biology & Therapy. 16, 412-9 (#equal contributions).
16. Lo D#, Zhang YW#, Dai MS, Zeng SX, Sun XX, and Lu H. (2015) Regulation of ARF stability by nucleostemin. Oncogene. 34, 1688-97 (#equal contributions).
17. Zhou X, Hao Q, Zhang Q, Liao JM, Ke JW, Liao P, Cao B, and Lu H. (2015) Ribosomal proteins. L11 and L5 activate TAp73 by overcoming MDM2 inhibition. Cell Death & Differentiation. 22, 755-66.
18. Zhang YW, Zhang X, and Lu H. (2014) Aberrant activation of p53 due to loss of MDM2 or MDMX causes early lens dysmorphogenesis. Developmental Biology. 396, 19-30.
19. Zhang Q, Zhou X, Wu RZ, Mosley A, Zeng, SX, Xing Z, and Lu H. (2014) The role of IMPDH2 in Inauhzin induced ribosomal stress. eLIFE. Oct 27; 3. doi: 10.7554/eLife.03077.
20. He GF#, Zhang YW#, Lee JH, Zeng SX, Wang V, Luo ZJ, Dong XC, Viollet B, Wahl GM, and Lu H. (2014) AMP-activated kinase induces p53 by phosphorylating MDMX and inhibiting its activity. Mol Cell Biol. 34, 148-87 (#equal contributions).
21. Liao JM, Zhou X, Gatignol A, and Lu H. (2014) Ribosomal proteins L5 and L11 cooperatively inactivate c-Myc via RNA-induced silencing complex. Oncogene. 33, 4916-23.
22. Zhou X, Hao Q, Liao JM, and Lu H. (2013) Ribosomal protein S14 negatively regulates c-Myc activity. JBC. 288, 21793-801.
23. Zhang YW, Zhang Q, Zeng SX, Hao Q, and Lu H. (2013) Inauhzin Sensitizes p53-dependent cytotoxicity and tumor suppression of chemotherapeutic agents. Neoplasia. 15, 523-34.
24. Liao JM#, Zhang Y#, Liao WJ, Zeng SX, and Lu H. (2013) IKK phosphorylation of TAp63 leads to inhibition of its transcriptional activity. JBC. 288, 18184-93 (#equal contributions).
25. Zhou X, Hao Q, Liao JM, Zhang Q, and Lu H. (2013) Ribosomal protein S14 regulates the MDM2-p53 loop upon ribosomal stress. Oncogene. 32, 388-96.
26. Liao, JM, Zeng SX, and Lu H. (2012) Global effect of Inauhzin on p53 responsive transcriptome. Plos One. 7, e52172.
27. Lee JH, Jin YT, He GF, Zeng SX, Wang V., Wahl GM., and Lu H. (2012) Hypoxia activates tumorsuppressor p53 by inducing ATR-Chk1 kinase cascade-mediated phosphorylation and 14-3-3 inactivation of MDMX. JBC. 287, 20898-903.
29. Zhang YW, Zhang Q, Zeng SX, Mayo L, and Lu H. (2012) Inauhzin and Nutlin-3 Synergistically.Activate p53 and Suppress Tumor Growth. Cancer Biology & Therapy. 13, 915-24.
30. Zhang Q, Ding DR, Zeng SX, Ye QZ, and Lu H. (2012) Structure-activity analysis of Inauhzin analogs as novel anti-tumor compounds that induce p53 expression and acetylation. Plos One. 7, e46294. 28. Lo D, Dai MS, Sun X, Zeng SX, and Lu H. (2012) Ubiquitin- and MDM2-independent proteasomal turnover of nucleostemin in response to GTP depletion. JBC. 287,10013-20.
31. Zhang Q, Zeng, SX, Zhang Y, Zhang YW, Ding DR, Ye QZ, Meroueh S, and Lu H. (2012) A small molecule Inauhzin inhibits SIRT1 activity and suppresses tumor growth through activation p53. EMBO Mol Med. 4, 298-312.
32. Dai MS, Challagundla KB, Sun XX, Palam, LR, Zeng, SX, Wek RC, and Lu H. (2012) Physical and functional interaction between ARF and ribosomal protein L11 in regulating the p53-MDM2 feedback loop. JBC. 287,17120-9.
33. Zhang Q, Xiao H, Chai S, Hoang Q, and Lu H. (2011) Hydrophilic residues are crucial for RPL11. interaction with the Zinc finger domain of MDM2 and p53 activation. JBC. 286, 38264-74.
34. Liao JM and Lu H. (2011) Autoregulatory suppression of c-Myc by miR-185-3p. JBC. 286, 33901-9.
35. Zhang Y, Liao JM, Zeng SX, and Lu H. (2011). p53 downregulates Down syndrome associated DYRK1A through miR-1246. EMBO Reports. 12, 811-7.
36. Lee JH, and Lu H. (2011) 14-3-3gamma inhibition of MDMX-mediated p21 turnover independently of p53. JBC. 286, 5136-42.
37. Dai MS, Sun XX, and Lu H. (2010) Ribosomal protein RPL11 associates with c-Myc at 5S rRNA and tRNA genes and regulates their expression. JBC. 285, 12587-94.
38. Zeng SX, Li YP, Jin YT, Zhang Q, Keller DM, McQuaw CM, Barklis E, Stone S, Hoatlin M, Zhao YM, and Lu H. (2010) SSRP1 facilitates microtubule growth and bundling required for mitosis. MCB. 30, 935-47.
39. Kumari A, Mazina, OM, Shinde U, Mazin AV, and Lu H. (2009) A role for SSRP1 in recombination-mediated DNA damage response. J. Cell Biochem. 108, 508-18.
40. Zhang Y, and Lu H. (2009) Signaling to p53: Ribosomal proteins find their way. Cancer Cell. 16, 369-77.
41. MacPatlin MM, Zeng SX, and Lu H. (2008) Posphorylation and stabilization of TAp63g by IkB.kinase-b. JBC. 283, 15754-61.
42. Dai MS#, Sun XX#, and Lu H. (2008) Abnormal expression of nucleostemin activates p53 activity and induces cell cycle arrest via inhibition of MDM2. Mol. Cell. Biol. 28, 4365-76 (#equal contributions).
43. Sun XX, Dai MS and Lu H. (2008) Mycophenolic acid activation of p53 requires ribosomal proteins L5 and L11. JBC. 283, 12387-92.
44. Jin YT, Zeng SX, Sun XX, Lee H, Blattner C, Xiao ZX, and Lu H. (2008) MDMX promote proteasomal turnover of p21 during cell cycle independently of, but in cooperation with, MDM2. Mol Cell. Biol. 28, 1218-29.
45. Gallegos J, Litersky J, Lee HJ, Sun Y, Nakayama K, Nakayama K, and Lu H. (2008) bTrCP activates and ubiquitylates TAp63g. JBC. 283, 66-75.
46. Dai MS, Grant H, Sun XX, Sears R, and Lu H. (2007) Inhibition of c-Myc activity b. ribosomal protein L11. EMBO J. 26, 3332-45.
47. Sun XX, Dai MS, and Lu H. (2007) 5-Fluorouracil activation of p53 involves an MDM2-ribosomal protein interaction. J. Biol. Chem. 282, 8052-8059.
48. Li YP, Zeng SX, Landais I, and Lu H. (2007) Human SSRP1 has Spt16-dependent and independent roles in gene transcription. J. Biol. Chem. 282, 6936-6945.
49. Dai MS, Shi D, Jin Y, Sun XX, Zhang YP, Grossman S, and Lu H. (2006) Regulation of the p53-MDM2 pathway by L11 through a postubiquitylation mechanism. J. Biol. Chem. 281, 24304-13.
50. Landais I, Lee HJ, and Lu H. (2006) Coupling caspase cleavage and ubiquitin-proteasome dependent degradation of SSRP1 during apoptosis. Cell Death and Differentiation. 13, 1866-78.
51. Jin YT, Dai MS, Lu SZ, Zhao JM, Xu YD, Luo ZJ, and Lu H. (2006) 14-3-3 associates with MDM2 that is phosphorylated by UV-activated Chk1, leading p53 activation. EBMO J. 25, 1207-1208.
52. Partlin MM, Zeng SX, Lee HJ, Stauffer D, Jin YT, Thayer M, and Lu H. (2005) p300 regulates p63 transcriptional activity J. Biol. Chem. 280, 30604-10.
53. Li YP, Keller DM, John Scott, and Lu H. (2005) CK2 phosphorylates SSRP1 and inhibits its DNA binding activity. J. Biol. Chem. 280, 11869-75.
54. Dai MS, Sun XQ, Smolic S, Qin J, and Lu H. (2004) Cloning and characterization of a novel Drosophila gene encoding a zinc-finger-containing glutathione SH-transferase. Gene. 342, 49-56.
55. Dai MS and Lu H. (2004). Regulation of the MDM2-p53 loop by ribosomal protein L5. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 44475-82.
56. Dai MS, Zeng SX, Jin YT, Sun XX, David L, and Lu H. (2004). Ribosomal protein L23 activates p53 by abrogating MDM2 function in response to ribosomal perturbation but not to translation inhibition. Mol. Cell. Biol. 24, 7654-7668.
57. Jin YT, Zeng SX, Lee HJ, and Lu H. (2004) MDM2 mediates p300/CREB-binding protein-associated factor ubiquitination and degradation. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 20035-43.
58. Jin YT, Lee, HJ, Zeng SX, Dai, MS, and Lu H. (2003) MDM2 promotes p21waf1/cip1 proteasomal turnover independently of ubiquitylation. EMBO J. 22, 6365-6377.
59. Zeng SX, Jin YT, Kuninger D, Rotwein P and Lu H. (2003) The Acetylase activity of p300 is dispensable for MDM2 stabilization. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 7453-7358.
60. Keller DM and Lu H. (2002) p53 Serine 392 phosphorylation increases after UV through induction of the assembly of the CK2. SSRP1.Spt16 complex. J. Biol. Chem. 277: 50206-50213.
61. Jin YT, Zeng, SX, Dai MS, Yang XJ, and Lu H. (2002) MDM2 inhibits PCAF-mediate p53 acetylation and activation. J. Biol. Chem. 277: 30838-30843.
62. Zeng SX, Dai MS, Keller D, and Lu H. (2002) SSRP1 functions as a co-activator of the transcriptional activator p63. EMBO J. 21, 5487-5497.
63. Keller D, Zeng XY, Wang Y, Zhang Q, Kapoor M, Zhao YM, Goodman R, Lozano G, and Lu H. (2001). A DNA damage responsive p53 serine 392 kinase complex contains CK2, hSpt16, and SSRP1. Mol. Cell. 7: 283-292.
64. Kobet E#, Zeng X#, Zhu Y, Keller D and Lu H. (2000) MDM2 Inhibits p300-mediated p53 Acetylation and Activation by Forming a Ternary Complex with the Two Proteins. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 97: 12547-12552 (#equal contributions).
65. Zeng XY, Keller D, Wu L, and Lu H. (2000) Ultraviolet but not g irradiation accelerates p53-induced apoptosis of teratocarcinoma cells by repressing MDM2 expression through a p53-independent mechanism. Cancer Research. 60: 6184-6188.
66. Zeng XY, Li, X, Miller A, Yuan Z, Yuan W, Goodman R, and Lu H. (2000) The N-terminal domain of p73 interacts with the CH1 domain of p300/CREB binding protein and mediates transcriptional activation and apoptosis. Mol. Cell. Biol. 20: 1299-1310.
67. Keller D, Zeng XY, Li XR, Kapoor M, Iordanov MS, Taya Y, Lozano G, Magun B and Lu H. (1999) The p38MAPK Inhibitor SB203580 Alleviates Ultraviolet-induced p53 Activation and Phosphorylation at Serine 389 but not Serine 15. Biochem Biophy Res Com. 261: 464-471.
68. Zeng XY, Chen L, Jost CA, Maya R, Keller D, Wang X, Kaelin WG, Oren M, Chen J, and Lu H. (1999) MDM2 suppresses p73 function without promoting p73 degradation. Mol.Cell.Biol.19: 3257-3266.
69. Zeng XY, Levine AJ, and Lu H. (1998) Non-p53 p53RE binding protein, a human transcription factor functionally analogous to p53. Proc. Acad. Natl. Sci. USA. 95: 6681-6686.
70. Lu H, Taya Y, Ikeda M, and Levine AJ. (1998) Phosphorylation of p53 at serine 389 is responsive uniquely to UV- but not to g- and etoposide-induced DNA damage. Proc. Acad. Natl. Sci. USA. 95: 6399-6402.
71. Lu H, Fisher R, Bailey P, and Levine AJ. (1997) The CDK7/cycH/p36 complex of TFIIH phosphorylates p53 and enhances p53's sequence-specific DNA binding activity. Mol. Cell. Biol.17: 5923-5934.
72. Lu H, Lin J, Chen JD and Levine AJ. (1996) Regulation of p53 transcriptional function: TAFs and MDM2. The Harvey Lectures, 90: 81-93.
73. Lu H and Levine A J. (1995) Human TAFII31 is a transcriptional coactivator of the p53 protein. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 92: 5154-5158.
74. Lu H, Zawel L, Fisher L, Egly JM and Reinberg D. (1992) Human general transcription factor IIH phosphorylates the C-terminal domain of RNA polymerase II. Nature (research article). 358: 641.
75. Lu H and Liu GT (1992) Anti-oxidant activity of dibenzo(a,c)cyclooctene lignans isolated from Schisandracea. Planta Medica. 58: 311.
76. Lu H, Flores O, Weinmann R and Reinberg D. (1991) The non-phosphorylated form of polymerase II preferentially associates with the preinitiation complex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. US. 88: 10004.
77. Lu H and Liu GT. (1991) Effect of dibenzo(a,c)cycloostene lignans isolated from Fructus schizandrae on lipid peroxidation and antioxidative enzyme activiities. Chem Biol Interact.78: 77.