Treat everyone, regardless of position or authority, with kindness, dignity and respect.
- Recognize every member of the team as having important contributions to achieve team goals
- Treat others the way they would like to be treated. If you don’t know, ask
- Responsibly use resources – people’s time and organizational funding
Do the right thing, even when it's hard or inconvenient
- Always put the learner at the center of all education decisions, the patient at the center of all care decisions, and the scientific method at the center of all research decisions
- Own your mistakes
- Seek ethical guidance when making challenging decisions
Have clear and timely communication that is focused on achieving solutions.
- Seek to understand first. Ask questions with open curiosity
- Be transparent. Communicate as much relevant information as possible and acknowledge when you must withhold information and why
- Bring a positive and collaborative spirit to all interactions. Focus discussions on solutions and stop discussions that ‘admire the problem’ or focus on fixing blame
Know and do what is expected of you in your role.
- Prepare for every meeting, patient interaction, research assignment and/or educational activity
- Transparently measure what matters
- Celebrate success and achievements. Notice more of what you want
DRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE
Continuously deliver and improve your best work
- Foster a growth mindset at every stage of life
- Routinely ask, “Have I/we given our best effort?” Never settle for mediocrity, either personally or for your team
- Value and intentionally seek diversity. Recognize that diverse experiences, perspectives and ways of thinking lead to smart decisions and great discoveries
Learn more at PROFESSIONALISM.TULANE.EDU