The Interstitial Lung Disease Center at Tulane University Medical Center offers comprehensive care for all types of pulmonary fibrosis. Our pulmonologists have the expertise and experience to accurately diagnose your condition and develop a personalized care plan for you.
Interstitial Lung Disease: Why Choose Tulane
- National recognition: Tulane was one of the first medical centers — and the only one in Louisiana — to be recognized for quality care by the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation. As a national leader, we see patients with every form of interstitial lung disease and from all over the Gulf South. Dr. Lasky is the lead physician for the Tulane pulmonary fibrosis program and is the Chief Medical Officer of the preeminent National Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation (https://www.pulmonaryfibrosis.org).
- Expert diagnosis: There are more than 200 interstitial lung diseases, and it can be challenging to tell them apart. Our specialists will review your history and tests to pinpoint your diagnosis. This is the first step in personalizing your care and determining your eligibility for innovative treatment options.
- Collaborative care: Our pulmonologists work closely with respiratory therapists, pharmacists, nurses, and other experts — including your primary care doctor and referring pulmonologist — to develop and coordinate your personalized care plan.
- Patient-centered support: At Tulane, we understand that an interstitial lung disease diagnosis can be life-changing. Our team will guide you through your care plan. We can assist you with details such as scheduling pulmonary rehabilitation, getting oxygen delivered to your home, understanding your medications, and informing you of financial support resources.
- Clinical trials: We are dedicated to developing new and better interstitial lung disease treatments through clinical trials. Tulane is among the largest interstitial lung disease clinical trials programs in the country, especially for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. This means you have access to innovative approaches to care before they are widely available.
- Innovative research: We continue to pioneer new approaches to care through scientific research, some funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health. We also collect blood and tissue samples for patient registries so our team and researchers across the country can better understand interstitial lung disease and its genetics.
Conditions We Treat
Our team treats all types of pulmonary fibrosis, including rare interstitial lung diseases. The medical conditions we most commonly treat include:
- Connective tissue disease-associated interstitial lung disease
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis, such as farmer’s lung Idiopathic interstitial pneumonias
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
Tests, Treatments and Services We Offer
The most common tests, treatments and services we offer include:
- Blood tests
- Genomic Classifiers
- High-resolution computed tomography (CT) scan
- Lung biopsy
- Oxygen flow and saturation testing
- Physical exam, including thorough review of exposure history
- Pulmonary function testing
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic biopsy