Tulane is dedicated to supporting physician well-being. Information about the School of Medicine’s resident wellness initiatives can be found here. In addition, the Department of Surgery makes resident wellness a priority with a variety of programs and events that aim to promote physical and mental health.
2023-2024 Resident Wellness Activity Schedule
- July - Meet the Interns at Bayou Beer Garden
- August - Annual Rock N' Bowl Event
- October - Ditch Night
- December - Surgery Department End of Year Celebration
- January - Candidate Reception & Post-ABSITE Celebration
- March - Tulane Surgical Society Gala & Crescent City Classic 10K
- April - Ditch Night
- May - Annual Resident Retreat
- June - Resident Graduation
Other Wellness Policies and Amenities
- Wellness ½ days: All residents are given ½ weekday off per month to attend to their personal and wellbeing needs (this is in addition to regularly allowed ACGME vacation days).
- Vacation days: Residents get 3 weeks of vacation, one of which is guaranteed to be during the December holiday season if the resident desires, and 2 four-day weekends off each year.
- Downtown Gym: Located steps from Tulane Medical Center with hours and activities structured to meet the needs of busy residents and faculty
- Resident Library: The residents’ badge allows entry into the resident-only library/lounge with tons of surgery textbooks and resources on the 8th floor of the medical school building (close to all the surgery faculty offices in the academic surgery dept).
- Textbooks: The department provides a surgery textbook for each resident at the beginning of PGY1 and PGY3.
- Loupes: The program provides loupes for each categorical resident at the beginning of PGY2.
- National conference attendance: The program sends PGY4 residents to subspecialty meetings of their choice (if not already attending to present research) and PGY5/chief residents to the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
- End of Year Wellness Retreat: All residents have protected time to attend a celebration at the end of the academic year filled with relaxation and reflection on the year’s hard work, educational endeavors, and accomplishments.
- Living Well Clinic: Open 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, located in the School of Medicine building. Provides residents free & confidential wellness visits, health coaching, urgent and preventative visits as well. Great and easy option for treatment for allergies, sprains, colds, sinusitis, URI, UTI, enteritis, etc.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Program that offers services to help individuals achieve better health and overcome barriers in life; the EAP is there to help manage life’s changes in good times and during times of challenges.
- Residents’ Assistance Program: Self-referral for 3 visits at no cost – Fitness for Duty, Addiction, Psychotherapy.
- School of Medicine Companion & Wellness App: Learn More HERE!
- Comprehensive Mentoring Program: to keep you accountable for success during your residency and prepare you for your future career after residency
- Group Fitness Zumba and Dance Classes: offered school-wide, free for anyone to attend
- Well-Being Index from Mayo Clinic: used to access Well-being on a routine basis to access and provide resources to better your subjective Well-being