- Mail the required $200 processing fee for each accepted rotation. Please note that you will not be confirmed or registered for the rotation until this fee is received. Fees are payable by check or money order, made out to Tulane University School of Medicine and should be submitted to:
Tulane University School of Medicine
Office of Admissions and Student Affairs
1430 Tulane Ave, #8010
New Orleans, LA 70112
Complete post-decision requirements, including the Visiting Student Demographic Form. Upload this to VSAS.
Transportation: Tulane provides a shuttle that makes stops at Tulane Hospital, UMCNO, the VA Hospital and the Murphy Building. This area is also served during "off hours" by Tulane TapRide, an on-demand shared ride service (with a limited area). Riders do need to show a valid Tulane ID. More information about Tulane's Shuttles & Transportation system can be found on their website. Parking arrangements at the school must be made in advance. Contact Tulane Medical Center Parking Services Office (phone: 504-988-5577). Visiting students are responsible for making their own arrangements and for the cost of parking.
Review Tulane's needlestick policy: Tulane University School of Medicine Blood Borne Pathogen Policy. If you should experience a needlestick during your visiting rotation, please seek emergency medical care and contact your home institution about further steps
Review the following important documents: Tulane University School of Medicine Concerns About Professionalism Instructions; Tulane University School of Medicine Harassment Policy. You may also want to familiarize yourself with Tulane University's Emergency Preparedness website, particularly if you will be visiting during Hurricane Season (June through November).
Learn more about Tulane University School of Medicine and the New Orleans Area!
- Please note: Visiting students will not be provided medical records training or access. Please be assured that you will still learn a lot from your visiting rotation!
- Visiting students will not have access to the medical student gym, which is reserved for use by Tulane medical students only. Instead, visiting students may opt to purchase a month-long "Community Member" pass at the uptown Tulane campus. For more information, see https://apm.activecommunities.com/tulanecampusrecreation/Membership
- When you arrive, you will need to obtain an ID card. To do so, please go to the Tidewater Building, 8th Floor, Room 802. Card Services is open Mon.-Fri., 8:30 AM-4:00 PM, with a lunch closure from 12:00 PM-1:00 PM daily. They are not open on the weekends, so please plan accordingly. You will need to provide a driver's license, state or military ID, or passport, and explain to them that you are a visiting student. Your SplashCard will be your Tulane ID for the extent of your stay with us. Your department will need to authorize your access to the hospital after your receive your ID. To do so, please complete the Badge Access Form, and provide it to your department AFTER getting your SplashCard.
- Students are responsible for arranging for their own housing. TUSOM does not provide housing or recommendations.