The Brinton Family Health & Healing Center opened in April 2012 in the Ruth U. Fertel/Tulane Community Health Center to the benefit of thousands in the New Orleans’ Mid-City neighborhood. Our mission is to harness the resources in the clinic and the community to creatively get people invested in their health and the health of their community. We do this through in-clinic and community events and programs, connecting patients to community resources, acting as liaison between the clinic, patients and community, as well as coordinating volunteer and internship opportunities for future leaders in medicine and public health.Read More About the Brinton Health & Healing Center
The Center’s first mission is to provide health care to medically underserved neighborhoods of the Greater New Orleans area. We partner with local health care organizations to provide primary care and mental health services for adults and children. Our partners include St. Anna Medical Mission and Access Health Louisiana.
The Center’s second mission is to incorporate public health training into workforce development for the health professions:
- Louisiana Community Health Worker Training Institute
- Brinton Nursing Fellowship in partnership with Delgado’s Charity School of Nursing
- Tulane Internal Medicine and Psychiatry Residency Training
- Sponsorship of Grow Dat Youth Farm high school internships
- MD/MPH student research practicums
- Undergraduate student service learning opportunities
Engaging the New Orleans Community:
The Center’s third mission is to create programs that provide high-quality health, nutritional, educational and wellness options.
- Hope and Healing peer support groups
- Health education and lifestyle coaching
- Krewe de Lose! Weight Management
- Walking groups and exercise groups
- Computer literacy training
Our programs reach 4,200 people on an annual basis. Participants in our programs include patients of the Ruth U. Fertel/Tulane Community Health Center and extend to include all interested community members.