Return to Dr. Hu's Laboratory
Dr. Tony Hu is a distinguished Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Biomedical Engineering, and Microbiology at Tulane University. He holds the prestigious Weatherhead Presidential Chair in Biotechnology Innovation and is the founding Director of the Center for Intelligent Molecular Diagnostics at Tulane School of Medicine.
Dr. Hu's research is focused on engineered multi-omics, nanomedicine, mechanism-driven biomarker discovery, and assay development. His groundbraking work employs the unique properties of nanomaterialsto improve assay performance and reproducibility, thereby offering a novel approach to clinical microbiology and biomarker discovery. His goal is to develop a full spectrum of diagnostic, prognostic, and treatment evaluation assays, redefining diagnostic criteria for infectious and malignant diseases using molecular tests.
Dr. Hu's contributions to the field are widely recognized, and he was elected as a fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) in March 2023. He has published over 150 high-impact papers and has filed 2 patent applications involving nanomedicine, 14 of which have been licensed by US-based or international companies.
Dr. Hu's research is supported by leading organizations such as the DOD, NIH, Gates Foundation, and WHO, among others. He has mentored 78 fellows and students from 21 countries, many of whom have gone on to establish independent faculty positions. In addition, Dr. Hu is a co-founder of two biotech startup companies, Intelligenome Inc. in San Jose, CA, and NanPin Technologies in New Orleans, LA.
Dr. Hu's innovative and pioneering research has resulted in significant advancements in the field of biomarker discovery and nanomedicine. His contributions have not only advanced the scientific community's understanding of infectious and malignant diseases but have also led to the development of novel diagnostic tools and therapies that can benefit patients worldwide.
- Zheng, W., LaCourse, S., Song, B., Singh, D. K., Khanna, M., Olivo, J., Stern, J., Escudero, J., Vergara, C., Zhang, F., Li, S., Wang, S., Cranmer, L.M., Huang, Z., Bojanowsk, C.M., Bao, D., Njuguna, I., Xiao, Y., Wamalwa, D. C., Nguyen, D. T., Yang, L., Maleche-Obimbo, E., Nguyen, N., Zhang, L., Phan, H., Fan, J., Ning, B., Li, C., Lyon, C. J., Graviss, E. A., John-Stewart, G., Mitchell, C. D., Ramsay, A. J., Kaushal , D., Liang, R., Pérez-Then, E., Hu, T.* Detection of M. tuberculosis-specific extracellular vesicles in peripheral blood for pediatric TB diagnosis. Nature Biomedical Engineering. 2022. Accepted.
- Ning, B., Youngquist, B. M., Li, D. D., Lyon, C. J., Zelazny, A., Maness4, N. J., Tian, D., Hu, T.* Rapid detection of multiple SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern by PAM-targeting Mutations. Cell Reports Method. 2022. Accepted.
- Ning, B., Huang, Z., Youngquist, B. M, Scott, J. W., Niu, A., Bojanowski, C., M., Zwezdaryk, K. J., Saba, N., S., Fan, J., Yin, X., Cao, J., Lyon, C. J., Li, C., Roy, C. J., Hu, T.* Liposome-mediated detection of SARS-CoV-2 RNA-positive extracellular vesicles in plasma. Nature Nanotechnology. 2021. Accepted.
- Ning, B., Yu, T., Zhang, S., Huang, Z., Tian, D., Lin, Z., Niu, A., Golden, N., Hensley, K., Threeton, B., Lyon, C. J., Yin, X., Saba, N., Rappaport, J., Wei, Q., Hu, T.* A smartphone-read ultrasensitive and quantitative saliva test for COVID-19. Science Advances. 2021. 7(2): eabe3703.
- Huang, Z., Ning, B., Yang, H., Youngquist, B., Niu, A., Lyon, C., Beddingfield, B., Fears, A., Monk, C., Murrell, A., Bilton, S., Linhuber, J., Norton, E., Dietrich, M., Lai, W., Scott, J., Yin, X., Rappaport, J., Robinson, J., Saba, N., Roy, C., Zwezdaryk, K., Zhao, Z., Hu, T.* Sensitive tracking of viral RNA in plasma through all stages of SARS-CoV-2 infection. J. Clinical Investigation. 2021, 131(7):e146031.
- Mao, L., Lacourse, S., Kim, S., Ning, B., Bao, D., Fan, J., Sun, Z., Nackman, S., Mitchelle, C., Hu, T.* Evaluation of a blood-based antigen test for tuberculosis in HIV-exposed children younger than 5 years. BMC Medicine. 2021, 19:113.
- Sun, D., Zhao, Z., Spiegel, S., Liu, Y., Fan, J., Amrollahi, P., Lyon, C. J., Wan, M., Hu, T.* Dye-free spectrophotometric measurement of nucleic acid-to-protein ratio for cell selective extracellular vesicle discrimination. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2021. 179: 113058.
- Hu, T.*, Walfrom, J. E., Srivastava, S. * Extracellular Vesicles in Cancer Detection: Hopes and Hypes. Cell: Trends in Cancer. 2021, 7(2): 122-133.
- Liu, Y., Fan, J., Xu, T., Ahmadinejad, N., Hess, K., Lin, S., Zhang, J., Liu, X., Liu, X., Ning, B., Liao, Z., Hu, T.* Extracellular Vesicle Tetraspanin-8 Expression Predicts Distant Metastasis in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer after Concurrent Chemoradiation. Science Advances. 2020, 6:11, eaaz6162.
- Hu, T.*, Frieman, M.*, Walfram, J.* Insights from nanomedicine into chloroquine efficacy against COVID-19. Nature Nanotechnology. 2020, 15:247-249.
- Rodrigues, M., Richards, N., Ning, B., Lyon, C., Hu, T.* Rapid lipid-based normalization of membrane protein expression on extracellular vesicles in complex biological samples. Nano Letters. 2019, 19, 11, 7623-7631 (Cover Story).
- Liu, C., Lyon, C. J., Deng, Z., Walters, E., Li, Y., Zhang, L., Hesseling, A., Graviss, E. A., Hu, T.* Clinical evaluation of a blood assay to diagnose paucibacillary tuberculosis via bacterial antigens. Clinical Chemistry. 2018, 64(7): 1 (Cover Story).
- Sun, D., Hu, T.* A low cost mobile phone-based dark-field microscope for nanoparticle-based quantitative studies. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 2017, 15;99:513-518.
- Fan, J., Zhang, H., Nguyen, D., Lyon, C. J., Mitchell, C. D., Zhao, Z., Graviss, E. A., Hu, T.* Rapid diagnosis of new and recurrent tuberculosis by quantification of circulating antigen in HIV-infected adults in the Greater Houston Metropolitan area: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Medicine. 2017, 15:188.
- Liu, C., Zhao, Z., Fan, J., Lyon, C. J., Wu, H., Nedelokv, D., Zelazny, A.M., Olivier, K.N., Cazares, L.H., Holland, S.H., Graviss, E. A., Hu, T.* Quantification of Circulating M. tuberculosis Antigens for Rapid Diagnosis and Real-time Treatment Monitoring. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A. 2017, 114(15):3969-3974. (Highlighted by New England Journal of Medicine)
- Liang K., Liu, F., Fan, J., Sun, D., Bernard, D. W., Li, Y., Yokoi, K., Katz, M. H., Koay, E. J., Zhao, Z., Hu, T.* Nanoplasmonic Quantification of Tumor-derived Extracellular Vesicles in Plasma Microsamples for Diagnosis and Treatment Monitoring. Nature Biomedical Engineering. 2017, 1:0021. (Highlighted by Nature Review Gastroenterology & Hepatology)
- Sun, D., Fan, J., Liu, C., Liu, Y., Bu, Y., Lyon, C. J., Hu, T.* A noise reduction method for quantifying nanoparticle light scattering in low magnification dark-field microscope far-field images. Anal. Chem. 2016, 88(24): 12001-12005.
To view more of Dr. Hu's publications, visit PubMed