PhD, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Paris XI School of Medicine, Paris, France
MD, Paris V School of Medicine, Paris, France
BS, Paris V School of Medicine, Paris, France
Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis is a physician scientist with a clinical training in Medicine and Endocrinology from the University of Paris V School of Medicine in France. He also holds a PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from the University of Paris XI School of Medicine. Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis studied the mechanisms of insulin resistance as a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the laboratory of Dr. C. Ronald Kahn at the Joslin Diabetes Center and Harvard Medical School. He was respectively Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston and Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine at Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago. In 2013, he joined Tulane University School of Medicine where he holds the Price-Goldsmith Professorship and is Professor of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism. He is also staff physician in the Endocrine service at the South-East Louisiana Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis is Director of the new Tulane Center of Excellence in Sex-Based Biology & Medicine.
Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis is the Director of the Diabetes Discovery Research and Sex-Based Medicine Laboratory. Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis’ research program focuses on basic research, translational approaches and clinical studies to understand the role of biological sex and sex hormones 1) in diabetes and obesity, with the goal of developing sex-based therapies. Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis’ also studies the role of biological sex, diabetes and obesity in COVID-19 severe outcomes. He has authored over 150 publications on sex differences and the role of sex hormones in diabetes and obesity in journals including Diabetes, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the USA, Nature Medicine, Journal of Clinical Investigation, Cell Metabolism, Cell Reports and the Lancet. He is the Editor of the book “Sex and gender factors affecting metabolic homeostasis, diabetes and obesity”. He also serves as Editorial Board member of Diabetes, Molecular Metabolism, JCI Insights, Biology of Sex Differences, and as Associate Editor of the Journal of Diabetes and its Complications. He is the principal investigator of research grants from the National Institutes of Health and the Veterans Health Administration and has received awards from organizations including the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the American Diabetes Association, the American Heart Association, the March of Dimes Research Foundation and the French Diabetes Association. He is an elected member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation.
Ongoing research projects related to sex differences in diabetes and obesity
- Targeted estrogen delivery to pancreatic beta-cells using GLP1-estrogen fusion peptides (basic/translational research)
- Mechanisms of androgen receptor stimulation of pancreatic beta-cell function and insulin secretion in males (basic research).
- Role of the progesterone receptors in pancreatic beta-cell function and insulin secretion in females (basic research).
- Role of androgen excess in predisposing to type 2 diabetes in females via central nervous system and peripheral actions (basic research).
- Single-cell genetic architecture of pancreatic islets in men and women (basic/translational research).
- Role of the complement in sex chromosomes and X-inactivation in pancreatic islet biology (basic research)
- Sex differences in inflammatory biomarkers and determinants of severe COVID-19 outcomes (clinical research)
- Estrogen and progesterone therapy in mitigating severe COVID-19 outcomes (Randomized control Trial)
Team and Lab members
Manika Bhondeley, PhD, Research Scientist and Lab manager
Fahd Quadir, PhD, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
Paula Mota de Sa, PhD, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
Dragana Lovre, MD, Assistant Professor
To learn more about Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis' research, visit his lab's website
- Morford JJ, Wu S, Mauvais-Jarvis F. The impact of androgen actions in neurons on metabolic health and disease. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2018 Apr 15;465:92-102. doi: 10.1016/j.mce.2017.09.001. Epub 2017 Sep 4. Review. PMID: 28882554
- Mauvais-Jarvis F. Gender differences in glucose homeostasis and diabetes. Physiol Behav. 2018 Apr 1;187:20-23. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2017.08.016. Epub 2017 Aug 24. PMID: 28843891
- Zhou Z, Ribas V, Rajbhandari P, Drew BG, Moore TM, Fluitt AH, Reddish BR, Whitney KA,Georgia S, Vergnes L, Reue K, Liesa M, Shirihai O, van der Bliek AM, Chi NW, Mahata SK, Tiano JP, Hewitt SC, Tontonoz P, Korach KS, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Hevener AL. Estrogen receptor α protects pancreatic β-cells from apoptosis by preserving mitochondrial function and suppressing endoplasmic reticulum stress. J Biol Chem. 2018 Mar 30;293(13):4735-4751. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M117.805069. Epub 2018 Jan 29. PMID: 29378845
- Gautier JF, Fetita LS, Riveline JP, Ibrahim F, Porcher R, Khalil CA, Velho G, Choukem SP, Hadjadj S, Larger E, Roussel R, Boudou P, Marre M, Ravussin E, Mauvais-Jarvis F. Sex Difference In the Effect of Fetal Exposure to Maternal Diabetes on Insulin Secretion. J Endocr Soc. 2018 Mar 22;2(5):391-397. doi: 10.1210/js.2017-00482. eCollection 2018 May 1. PMID: 29687090
- Sharma G, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Prossnitz ER. Roles of G protein-coupled estrogen receptor GPER in metabolic regulation. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2018 Feb;176:31-37. doi: 10.1016/j.jsbmb.2017.02.012. Epub 2017 Feb 20. Review. PMID: 28223150
- Mukerjee S, Zhu Y, Zsombok A, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Zhao J, Lazartigues E. Perinatal Exposure to Western Diet Programs Autonomic Dysfunction in the Male Offspring. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2018 Jan;38(1):233-242. doi: 10.1007/s10571-017-0502-4. Epub 2017 May 6. PMID: 28478572
- Mauvais-Jarvis F. New Insights Into Estrogens Inactivation and Prevention of Systemic Inflammation in Male Subjects. Endocrinology. 2017 Nov 1;158(11):3711-3712. doi:.1210/en.2017-00828. PMID: 29099958
- Dong S, Baranwal S, Garcia A, Serrano-Gomez SJ, Eastlack S, Iwakuma T, Mercante D, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Alahari SK. Nischarin inhibition alters energy metabolism by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 2017 Oct 13;292(41):16833-16846. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M117.784256. Epub 2017 Aug 24. PMID: 28842496
- Mauvais-Jarvis F. Are estrogens promoting immune modulation and islet protection in type 1 diabetes? J Diabetes Complications. 2017 Nov;31(11):1563-1564. doi:1016/j.jdiacomp.2017.07.015. Epub 2017 Aug 3. PMID: 28890307
- Zhang Y, Wu M, Htun W, Dong EW, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Fonseca VA, Wu H. Differential Effects of Linagliptin on the Function of Human Islets Isolated from Non-diabetic and Diabetic Donors. Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 11;7(1):7964. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-08271-9. PMID: 28801559
Full list of publications in PubMed