PhD, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Paris XI School of Medicine, Paris, France
MD, Paris V School of Medicine, Paris, France
BS, Paris V School of Medicine, Paris, France
Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis is a physician scientist with a clinical training in Medicine and Endocrinology from the University of Paris V School of Medicine in France. He also holds a PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from the University of Paris XI School of Medicine. Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis studied the mechanisms of insulin resistance as a Post-Doctoral Fellow in the laboratory of Dr. C. Ronald Kahn at the Joslin Diabetes Center and Harvard Medical School. He was respectively Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston and Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology and Molecular Medicine at Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago. In 2013, he joined Tulane University School of Medicine where he holds the Price-Goldsmith Professorship and is Professor of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism. He is also staff physician in the Endocrine service at the South-East Louisiana Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis is Director of the new Tulane Center of Excellence in Sex-Based Biology & Medicine.
Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis is the Director of the Diabetes Discovery Research and Sex-Based Medicine Laboratory. Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis’ research program focuses on basic research, translational approaches and clinical studies to understand the role of biological sex and sex hormones 1) in diabetes and obesity, with the goal of developing sex-based therapies. Dr. Mauvais-Jarvis’ also studies the role of biological sex, diabetes and obesity in COVID-19 severe outcomes. He has authored over 150 publications on sex differences and the role of sex hormones in diabetes and obesity in journals...
- Morford JJ, Wu S, Mauvais-Jarvis F. The impact of androgen actions in neurons on metabolic health and disease. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2018 Apr 15;465:92-102. doi: 10.1016/j.mce.2017.09.001. Epub 2017 Sep 4. Review. PMID: 28882554
- Mauvais-Jarvis F. Gender differences in glucose homeostasis and diabetes. Physiol Behav. 2018 Apr 1;187:20-23. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2017.08.016. Epub 2017 Aug 24. PMID: 28843891
- Zhou Z, Ribas V, Rajbhandari P, Drew BG, Moore TM, Fluitt AH, Reddish BR, Whitney KA,Georgia S, Vergnes L, Reue K, Liesa M, Shirihai O, van der Bliek AM, Chi NW, Mahata SK, Tiano JP, Hewitt SC, Tontonoz P, Korach KS, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Hevener AL. Estrogen receptor α protects pancreatic β-cells from apoptosis by preserving mitochondrial function and suppressing endoplasmic reticulum stress. J Biol Chem. 2018 Mar 30;293(13):4735-4751. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M117.805069. Epub 2018 Jan 29. PMID: 29378845
- Gautier JF, Fetita LS, Riveline JP, Ibrahim F, Porcher R, Khalil CA, Velho G, Choukem SP, Hadjadj S, Larger E, Roussel R, Boudou P, Marre M, Ravussin E, Mauvais-Jarvis F. Sex Difference In the Effect of Fetal Exposure to Maternal Diabetes on Insulin Secretion. J Endocr Soc. 2018 Mar 22;2(5):391-397. doi: 10.1210/js.2017-00482. eCollection 2018 May 1. PMID: 29687090
- Sharma G, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Prossnitz ER. Roles of G protein-coupled estrogen receptor GPER in metabolic regulation. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2018 Feb;176:31-37. doi: 10.1016/j.jsbmb.2017.02.012. Epub 2017 Feb 20. Review. PMID: 28223150
- Mukerjee S, Zhu Y, Zsombok A, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Zhao J, Lazartigues E. Perinatal Exposure to Western Diet Programs Autonomic Dysfunction in the Male Offspring. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2018 Jan;38(1):233-242. doi: 10.1007/s10571-017-0502-4. Epub 2017 May 6. PMID: 28478572
- Mauvais-Jarvis F. New Insights Into Estrogens Inactivation and Prevention of Systemic Inflammation in Male Subjects. Endocrinology. 2017 Nov 1;158(11):3711-3712. doi:.1210/en.2017-00828. PMID: 29099958
- Dong S, Baranwal S, Garcia A, Serrano-Gomez SJ, Eastlack S, Iwakuma T, Mercante D, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Alahari SK. Nischarin inhibition alters energy metabolism by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 2017 Oct 13;292(41):16833-16846. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M117.784256. Epub 2017 Aug 24. PMID: 28842496
- Mauvais-Jarvis F. Are estrogens promoting immune modulation and islet protection in type 1 diabetes? J Diabetes Complications. 2017 Nov;31(11):1563-1564. doi:1016/j.jdiacomp.2017.07.015. Epub 2017 Aug 3. PMID: 28890307
- Zhang Y, Wu M, Htun W, Dong EW, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Fonseca VA, Wu H. Differential Effects of Linagliptin on the Function of Human Islets Isolated from Non-diabetic and Diabetic Donors. Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 11;7(1):7964. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-08271-9. PMID: 28801559
Full list of publications in PubMed