Vivian A. Fonseca, MD, FRCP, is the Assistant Dean for Clinical Research at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, Louisiana. He is also a Professor of Medicine, the Tullis–Tulane Alumni Chair in Diabetes, and Chief of the Section of Endocrinology. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE), and the Board of Trustees of the American College of Endocrinology. He is a past President for Science and Medicine of the American Diabetes Association (2012), and has held a leadership role and served on various committees in several other organizations including the American Diabetes Association, the American College of Endocrinology and the American Board of Internal Medicine.
He is Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Diabetes and its Complications. He was Editor-in-Chief of Diabetes Care from 2007-2011, having formerly been Associate Editor. He was, until 2006, Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of the Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders. He served on the editorial board of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (2003-2006), and is an ad-hoc reviewer for several other journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, JAMA, Diabetes, etc.
Dr. Fonseca is a fellow of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Royal College of Physicians (London), and the American College of Physicians. Dr. Fonseca has served on and been chairman of the Clinical Practice Committee of the American Diabetes Association, the ADA Disaster Task Force, the ADA Strategic Planning Committee and the joint ADA/ACC “Make the Link” Program. He has played a significant role in developing guidelines for treating diabetes (ADA and AACE), managing chronic disease and clinical trials after a natural disaster and in drawing attention to the global epidemic of diabetes, particularly in Asia.
The American Diabetes Association awarded him the ADA Banting Medal for Leadership and Service and the Southern Medical Association awarded him the Seale–Harris Award. He has received several teaching awards and was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society and has been listed among the Best Doctors in the United States, Louisiana and Arkansas.
Dr. Fonseca's research interests include the prevention and treatment of diabetic complications and risk factor reduction in cardiovascular disease, particularly on the role of inflammation and other novel risk factors. He has a research program evaluating inflammation in diabetes, and using technology to improve diabetes care in underprivileged populations. He has been an investigator in several NIH and industry funded clinical trials including the Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes (ACCORD/ACCORDION) study and TINSAL–T2D trial. He is the co–PI of the Louisiana Clinical Data Research Network (LACDRN), funded by PCORI/PCORNET and serves on the PCORNET Clinical Trials Task Force and is an investigator in several current trials including the NIH funded TACT2 trial. He serves on several steering and ancillary study committees and data safety monitoring boards.
Dr. Fonseca has lectured in the United States and abroad. He has published over 300 papers and is the editor of the text book Clinical Diabetes: Translating Research into Practice (El Sevier) and several monographs and book chapters.
- Katzmarzyk PT, Martin CK, Newton RL Jr, Apolzan JW, Arnold CL, Davis TC, Denstel KD, Mire EF, Thethi TK, Brantley PJ, Johnson WD, Fonseca V, Gugel J, Kennedy KB, Lavie CJ, Price-Haywood EG, Sarpong DF, Springgate B. Promoting Successful Weight Loss in Primary Care in Louisiana (PROPEL): Rationale, design and baseline characteristics. Contemp Clin Trials. 2018 Apr;67:1-10. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2018.02.002. Epub 2018 Feb 8. PMID: 29408562
- Grunberger G, Handelsman Y, Bloomgarden ZT, Fonseca VA, Garber AJ, Haas RA, Roberts VL, Umpierrez GE. AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS AND AMERICAN COLLEGE OF ENDOCRINOLOGY 2018 POSITION STATEMENT ON INTEGRATION OF INSULIN PUMPS AND CONTINUOUS GLUCOSE MONITORING IN PATIENTS WITH DIABETES MELLITUS. Endocr Pract. 2018 Mar;24(3):302-308. doi: 10.4158/PS-2017-0155. PMID: 29547046
- Liu S, Adelman DT, Xu Y, Sisco J, Begelman SM, Webb SM, Badia X, Thethi TK, Fonseca V, Shi L. Patient-centered assessment on disease burden, quality of life, and treatment satisfaction associated with acromegaly. J Investig Med. 2018 Mar;66(3):653-660. doi: 10.1136/jim-2017-000570. Epub 2017 Nov 18. PMID: 29151042
- Garber AJ, Abrahamson MJ, Barzilay JI, Blonde L, Bloomgarden ZT, Bush MA, Dagogo-Jack S, DeFronzo RA, Einhorn D, Fonseca VA, Garber JR, Garvey WT, Grunberger G, Handelsman Y, Hirsch IB, Jellinger PS, McGill JB, Mechanick JI, Rosenblit PD, Umpierrez GE. CONSENSUS STATEMENT BY THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS AND AMERICAN COLLEGE OF ENDOCRINOLOGY ON THE COMPREHENSIVE TYPE 2 DIABETES MANAGEMENT ALGORITHM - 2018 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY. Endocr Pract. 2018 Jan;24(1):91-120. doi: 10.4158/CS-2017-0153. Epub 2018 Jan 17. PMID: 29368965
- Lovre D, Shah S, Sihota A, Fonseca VA. Managing Diabetes and Cardiovascular Risk in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2018 Mar;47(1):237-257. doi: 10.1016/j.ecl.2017.10.006. Epub 2017 Dec 18. Review. PMID: 29407054
- Fonseca VA, Bloomgarden ZT, Dagogo-Jack S, Grunberger G, Einhorn D, Garber AJ, Handelsman Y, Hirsch IB, Umpierrez GE. AACE/ACE POSITION STATEMENT ON THE USE OF FOLLOW-ON BIOLOGICS AND BIOSIMILARS FOR ENDOCRINE DISEASES. Endocr Pract. 2017 Nov;23(11):1345-1349. doi: 10.4158/EP-2017-0052. PMID: 29190135
- Fonseca VA, Lovre D. Diabetes-Related Dyslipidemia and Cardiovascular Events. Am J Med Sci. 2017 Aug;354(2):103-104. doi: 10.1016/j.amjms.2017.06.011. Epub 2017 Jun 19. PMID: 28864365
- Mann JFE, Ørsted DD, Brown-Frandsen K, Marso SP, Poulter NR, Rasmussen S, Tornøe K, Zinman B, Buse JB; LEADER Steering Committee and Investigators. Liraglutide and Renal Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2017 Aug 31;377(9):839-848. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1616011. PMID: 28854085
- Zhang Y, Wu M, Htun W, Dong EW, Mauvais-Jarvis F, Fonseca VA, Wu H. Differential Effects of Linagliptin on the Function of Human Islets Isolated from Non-diabetic and Diabetic Donors. Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 11;7(1):7964. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-08271-9. PMID: 28801559
- Mauvais-Jarvis F, Manson JE, Stevenson JC, Fonseca VA. Menopausal Hormone Therapy and Type 2 Diabetes Prevention: Evidence, Mechanisms, and Clinical Implications. Endocr Rev. 2017 Jun 1;38(3):173-188. doi: 10.1210/er.2016-1146. Review. PMID: 28323934
Full list of publications in PubMed