Southeastern Louisiana University 1979 B.A. (summa cum laude) Psychology
Purdue University 1981 M.S., Developmental Psychology
Purdue University 1983 Ph.D., Developmental Psychology
Kent State University 1991 Clinical Respecialization, Clinical Psychology
University of California, Institute of Human Development 8/83-7/84 Postdoctoral Fellow - Developmental Psychology
Baylor College of Medicine 9/90-8/91 Psychology Internship
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation 9/91-9/92 Postdoctoral Fellow - Health Psychology
Years at Tulane:
Dr. Larrieu's clinical and research interests focus on infant mental health, developmental psychopathology, and training issues. Most of her work deals with abuse and neglect of infants and toddlers, including identifying risk factors for abuse, as well as predictors of successful treatment for parents who have maltreated their children. She provides training in infant mental health to professionals who are skilled in working with school-age children, and to public health nurses who work with a variety of at-risk families.
Dr. Larrieu is an endorsed national and international trainer for Child-Parent Psychotherapy, an evidence-based intervention for children ages birth to six years of age who have experienced trauma and interpersonal loss, and their caregivers.
- Larrieu, J.A., & Alonzi, S. (June, 2022). Co-facilitators, Scholars Committed to Opportunities in Psychological Education (SCOPE). Sponsored by Loyola, Auburn, and Emory Universities, New Orleans, LA.
- Heller, S. H., & Larrieu, J. A. (May, 2022). The Crowell Parent-Child Interaction Procedure. Sponsored by Right Start for Colorado. Denver, CO.
- Larrieu, J. (May, 2022). Relationship repair using Child-Parent Psychotherapy: “My baby has evil anger.” Presented at the Zero to Four: Maudsley Infant Mental Health Conference, South London, England UK.
- Larrieu, J. A. (May, 2022). Partnering with court systems: The Tulane Infant Team Intervention Program. Presented at the Berry Street Childhood Institute Infant Mental Health and Wellbeing Series, Melbourne, Australia.
- Murphy, D., & Larrieu, J. (April, 2022). Child trauma symposium: Evidence-based trauma therapies for children and families in Louisiana. Presented at the Louisiana Psychological Association Annual Convention: New Orleans, LA.
- Larrieu, J. A. (March, 2022). The Working Model of the Child Interview: Administration and clinical interpretation. Sponsored by Right Start for Colorado. Denver, CO.
- Zeanah, C., & Larrieu, J. (January, 2022). Relational context and Relationship Specific Disorder. Presented at the ZERO TO THREE Virtual Annual Conference Forum, DC:0-5: A contextual approach to diagnostic assessment, diagnostic classification, and case conceptualization. Held through sponsorship of ZERO TO THREE.
- Zeanah, P. D., & Larrieu, J. A. (July, 2021). Foundations of Infant Mental Health: Development in Infancy; Keys to Caregiving. Sponsored by the Office of Public Health, Bureau of Family Health, New Orleans, LA.
- Larrieu, J. A., Bekman, S., & Willoughby, J. (July, 2021). Child-Parent Psychotherapy: Intensive Competency Building Workshop for the State of Colorado. Sponsored by Right Start for Colorado. Denver, CO.
- Mirzoy, S., Spear, R., Venner, S., Stevens, M., & Larrieu, J. (July, 2021). Diversity-informed infant mental health tenets: Recognize and respect non-dominant bodies of knowledge and understand that language can be used to hurt or heal. Presented at Child Psychiatry Grand Rounds, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA.
- Heller, S. H., & Larrieu, J. A. (April, 2021). The Crowell Parent-Child Interaction Procedure. Invited Workshop Sponsored by Right Start for Colorado. Denver, CO.
- Larrieu, J. A. (March, 2021). The Working Model of the Child Interview. Invited Workshop Sponsored by Right Start for Colorado. Denver, CO.
Larrieu, J. A., & Zeanah, C. H. (2021). Relational context and relational psychopathology in early childhood: An illustration of the DC:0-5 approach. ZERO TO THREE Journal, 42 (2), 13-19.
Zeanah, P. D., Cartier, J., Dick, S. J., Dickson, A., LaVine, C., Larrieu, J., Osofsky, J., & Zeanah, C. (2020). Awareness of ACEs: A Louisiana snapshot – Successes, challenges, lessons learned, and next steps. Zero to Three Journal, 1-16.
Larrieu, J. A., Middleton, M. A., Kelley, A. C., & Zeanah, C. H. (2018). Assessing the relational context of infants and young children. In C. H. Zeanah (Ed.), Handbook of Infant Mental Health, 4th Edition, (pp. 279-295). New York: Guilford Press.
Hinshaw-Fuselier, S., Zeanah, P., & Larrieu, J. A. (2018). Infant and early childhood mental health training. In C. H. Zeanah (Ed.), Handbook of Infant Mental Health, 4th Edition, (pp. 569-284). New York: Guilford Press.
Larrieu, J. A. (2018). Introducing evidence-based trauma treatment in preventive services: Child-Parent Psychotherapy. In V. Strand and G. Sprang, (Eds.), Trauma Responsive Child Welfare Systems, (pp. 147-164). New York: Springer.
Larrieu, J. A., Stevens, M., & Zeanah, C. H. (2014). The Working Model of the Child Interview. In S. Farnfield & P. Holmes, (Eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Attachment: Assessment, (pp. 133-143). New York: Routledge.
Breidenstine, A., Bailey, L., Zeanah, C. & Larrieu, J. (2014). Attachment and trauma in early childhood: A review. In Nader, K. (Ed.). Assessment of Trauma in Youths: Understanding issues of age, complexity, and associated variables, (pp. 113-131). New York: Routledge.
Moran, T. E., Larrieu, J. A., Zeanah, P., Evenson, A., & Valliere, J. (2013). “Depressia” in Post- Katrina New Orleans: Cultural and contextual adaptations to group interpersonal psychotherapy. Journal of Zero to Three: National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families, 33 (5), 23-30.
Stevens, M., Larrieu, J., & Zeanah, C. (2012). Development of attachment relationships in young children. Using a Developmental Approach in Child Welfare Practice. Child Welfare 360, Special issue, p. 10.
View more of Dr. Larrieu's publications at PubMed.