Tulane University 1973 B.A.
Tulane University School of Medicine 1977 M.D.
University of Virginia School of Medicine 1978 Internship in Pediatrics
Duke University Medical Center 1980 Residency in General Psychiatry
Stanford University School of Medicine 1982 Residency in Child Psychiatry
Stanford University School of Medicine 1984 Research Fellow in Child Psychiatry
Dr. Zeanah's major academic interest has been in the area of infant mental health and adverse early experiences. He conducts research on the effects of abuse, neglect, serious deprivation and exposure to violence on young children and on interventions designed to help them recover. He has also studied approaches to understanding and classifying disorders of early childhood, especially disorders of attachment and posttraumatic stress disorder.
Guyon-Harris, K.L., Humphreys, K.L., Miron, D., Tibu, F., Fox, N.A., Nelson, C.A. & Zeanah, C.H. (2021). Early caregiving quality predicts consistency of competent functioning from middle childhood to adolescence following early psychosocial deprivation. Development and Psychopathology, 33(1),18-28. PMID: 31896375. doi:10.1017/S0954579419001500. [PDF]
Guyon-Harris, K., Humphreys, K.L. & Zeanah, C.H. (2021). Adverse caregiving in early life: The trauma and deprivation distinction in young children. Infant Mental Health Journal, 42(1), 87-95. [PDF]
Humphreys, K.L., Machlin, L.S., Guyon-Harris, K.L., Nelson, C.A., Fox, N.A., & Zeanah, C.H. (2021). Psychosocial deprivation and receptive language: A two sample study. Journal of Neurodevelopmental Disorders, 12(1). [PDF]
Zeanah, P., Larrieu, J., Dickson, A., Osofsky, J., Phillippi Jr., S., & Zeanah, C.H. (2021). Enhancing developmental trajectories for Louisiana’s youngest children: The critical importance of increasing & supporting evidence-based services. Unpublished White paper. https://medicine.tulane.edu/infant-institute
Finelli, J., Gleason, M.M., & Zeanah, C.H. (2021). Assessing infants and toddlers. In M. Dulcan, M.D. (Ed.), Textbook of child and adolescent psychiatry, 3rd edition, pp. 19-43. Arlington, VA, APA Press.
Zeanah, C.H. & Dozier, M. (2021). Attachment and foster care. In: L. Berlin, R. Thompson (Eds.), Attachment: The fundamental questions. New York, Guilford Press. [PDF]
View more of Dr. Zeanah's publications on PubMed
- “Visits and Transitions: Navigating Children's Mental Health in Social Care,” Hosted by the BEST Services Trial, National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, Glasgow, SCOTLAND, (virtual) June 17, 2021.
- “Clinical Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health,” IECMH Policy Group at ZERO TO THREE, Washington, DC (virtual), June 1, 2021.
- “The Effects of Institutional Rearing on Children’s Development,” Global & European Trends of Deinstitutionalisation for Children, Eurochild Expert Forum, Munich, GERMANY (virtual), May 19, 2021.
- A 20-year study of abandoned children: The Bucharest Early Intervention Project, Bucharest University, Bucharest, ROMANIA (virtual), May 11, 2021.
- “Attachment Relationships and Relationship Disturbances in Young Children,” 46th Annual Douglas Hansen Review Course, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (virtual), April 5, 2021.
- “Behavioral Health: The Urgency of Broadening Collaboration for Trauma-Informed and ACEs Services,” Panel discussion (virtual), 2021 Health Summit, Louisiana Center for Health Equity, March 31, 2021.