Dr. Dong received her Ph.D. in experimental pathology from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 2000. From 2000 - 2002, she was a postdoctoral fellow in cancer chemoprevention at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. She became a research assistant professor in 2002 and an assistant professor in 2005 in the Cancer Chemoprevention Department. In November 2007, Dr. Dong joined the faculty of Tulane University School of Medicine as an assistant professor in the Department of Structural and Cellular Biology.
Tulane Cancer Center Program Member
Dr. Dong has a long-standing interest in prostate cancer particularly in altered androgen receptor signaling in castration-resistant prostate cancer and mechanisms and efficacies of candidate prostate cancer interventions. Despite the recent development and FDA approval of new hormone therapy drugs for metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer, disease progression after hormone therapies remains the most critical challenge in the clinical management of prostate cancer. Emerging evidences indicate that prostate cancers can adapt to all current hormone therapies by signaling through constitutively-active androgen receptor splice variants that lack the ligand-binding domain. We are currently characterizing how these splice variants are generated and their mechanisms of action. We are also developing drugs/regimens to inhibit these splice variants for more effective treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Click Here For PubMed Publications
- Y Zhan, G Zhang, X Wang, Y Qi, S Bai, D Li, T Ma, O Sartor, EK Flemington, H Zhang, P Lee, and Y Dong. (2017) Interplay between cytoplasmic and nuclear androgen receptor splice variants mediate castration resistance. Molecular Cancer Research, 15, 59-68. PMID: 27671337. Featured in the "Molecular Cancer Research Highlights: Selected Articles from This Issue" with a figure.
- S Cao, Y Zhan, and Y Dong. (2016) Emerging data on androgen receptor splice variants in prostate cancer. Endocrine-Related Cancer, Invited review. 23:T199-T210. PMCID:PMC5107136. Featured in “Uro Today”.
- D Xu, Y Zhan, Y Qi, B Cao, S Bai, W Xu, SS Gambhir, P Lee, O Sartor, EK Flemington, H Zhang, CD Hu, and Y Dong. (2015) Androgen receptor splice variants dimerize to transactivate target genes. Cancer Research, 75, 3663-3671. PMCID:PMC4558376. Featured in “MDLinx”, “Just Cancer News”, “BioWorld from Thomson Reuters”. Editorial: Emmanuel S. Antonarakis and Jun Luo. (2015) AR splice variant dimerization - clinical implications Nature Reviews Urology, 12, 431-433.
- B Cao, Y Qi, G Zhang, D Xu, Y Zhan, X Alvarez, Z Guo, X Fu, SR Plymate, O Sartor, H Zhang, and Y Dong. (2014) Androgen Receptor Splice Variants Activating the Full-Length Receptor in Mediating Resistance to Androgen-Directed Therapy. Oncotarget, 5, 1646-56. PMCID:PMC4039237.
- Y Zhan, B Cao, Y Qi, S Liu, Q Zhang, W Zhou, D Xu, H Lu, O Sartor, W Kong, H Zhang, and Y Dong. (2013) Methylselenol Prodrug Enhances MDV3100 Efficacy for Treatment of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. International Journal of Cancer, 133, 2225-33. PMCID:PMC3750963. Featured in “MDLinx”.
- B Cao, X Liu, J Li, S Liu, Y Qi, Z Xiong, A Zhang, T Wiese, X Fu, J Gu, PS Rennie, O Sartor, BR Lee, C Ip, L Zhao, H Zhang, and Y Dong. (2013) 20(S)-Protopanaxadiol-aglycone Downregulation of the Full-length and Splice Variants of Androgen Receptor. International Journal of Cancer, 132, 1277–1287. PMCID:PMC3509250.